Before Surgery Instructions
Serving Patients in Jacksonville, Florida
PRE-SURGERY INSTRUCTIONS – JACKSONVILLE BREAST RECONSTRUCTION:
A successful surgery requires a partnership between you and Ankit Desai,MD.
The following instructions are essential to a safe experience and good outcome. Use this as a checklist as you approach your surgery date. If you are unable to comply with these instructions, you must notify our office as soon as possible. As a result, your surgery may have to be postponed or delayed, at the judgment of Ankit Desai, MD.
This is essential to your health and safety.
THREE WEEKS OR MORE BEFORE YOUR JACKSONVILLE BREAST RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY
There may be several weeks between your decision to have surgery and your actual surgical date. During this time there are several important considerations:
Good nutrition: Eat well during the weeks prior to surgery. Crash dieting, over-eating or high alcohol intake can greatly affect your overall health and well-being. A healthy, balanced diet is essential. Also, begin taking the following supplements daily:
Pre-operative testing: Make certain to schedule all of the pre-operative testing and clearance you have been given. Refer to the PACES form. Make certain all test results are received by Dr. Ankit Desai as required.
TWO to THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOUR JACKSONVILLE BREAST RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY
This is an important planning and preparation time. Follow all of the good health habits you have begun in addition to the following:
Shop for your post surgery bra: Will be used 1-2 weeks after surgery
- Under wires are not advised
- Elastic, cotton or other breathable unpadded fabric with good full-cup coverage and support
- Wide, well-balanced shoulder straps and wide supportive band across the back and beneath the breasts front-closure, if possible
- Cup and band size (this may be somewhat larger to accommodate any post-surgery swelling).
- Bras and Shirts that button in the front are best.
Note: You may wish to purchase more than one bra, for laundering Don’t make this an expensive purchase since you will likely only be wearing this bra for 4-6 weeks.
STOP taking the following for the duration before your surgery. Taking any of the following can increase your risk of bleeding and other complications:
- Aspirin and medications containing aspirin
- Ibuprofen and anti-inflammatory agents
- Vitamin E Estrogen supplements
- St. John’s Wort
- Garlic Supplements
- Green Tea or green tea extracts
- All other medications indicated
Fitness: Don’t over-do it, but continue walking. Avoid anything strenuous or that could potentially cause injury to your shoulders, back, pectoral muscles, arms or upper body.
NO SMOKING: Stay away from second-hand smoke, too. Your healing and health depend heavily on this.
Lead a healthy lifestyle. Practice good hand-washing and avoid large crowds, or individuals who are ill. Do not risk catching a virus or cold:
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOUR JACKSONVILLE BREAST RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY
Confirm your surgery plans. This includes your transportation, support in the hospital and after-care once you are released (a responsible adult who can provide both physical and emotional support).
Review your prescription orders and instructions.
Purchase Polysporin or other antibiotic ointment.
Continue to practice healthy habits, nutrition and fitness. No strenuous exercise. No saunas, hot tubs, steam baths, or mud wraps. No smoking or alcohol.
Plan for your hospital stay. Consider the clothing and other items, like a favorite pillow or quilt from home that will help you to feel comfortable during your hospital stay. Shop for magazines, books and other things to keep you busy and entertained during your hospital stay and the days following surgery.
Find your comfort zone. Locate the most comfortable place where you can gently recline and recover once
you are released home from the hospital.
Relax. Call our office with any unusual anxiety or concerns. Get plenty of rest. If you have trouble sleeping,
call our office.
ONE – TWO DAYS BEFORE YOUR JACKSONVILLE BREAST RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY
Pack your bag for the hospital. This should include:
- All paperwork
- Your identification
- All prescription medications
- Skincare, toothbrush and personal hygiene needs
- Post surgical bra
- Reading glasses
- A robe, slippers and warm, clean cotton socks
- A favorite pillow or quilt
- Comfortable, loose-fitting clothing with a zip or button top, and slip on, non-skid shoes to wear when you are released home
- Reading materials, a journal, needlework or other items to keep you comfortable and busy as you rest in the hospital.
IF YOU WILL BE ARRIVING AT THE HOSPITAL ON THE DAY OF YOUR BREAST RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY:
Do not eat or drink anything after 12 midnight the day before surgery. Anything more than a small amount
of water as needed for brushing teeth or swallowing medication may result in the need to cancel surgery. This
includes candy, gum, and mints.
NOTHING by mouth on the day of surgery: Anything more than a small amount of water as needed for
brushing teeth or swallowing medication may result in the need to cancel surgery. This includes candy, gum,
YOUR TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL:
- Do not wear cosmetics, jewelry of any kind, contact lenses, hair clips, body piercing: (If there is something you cannot remove, let the admitting nurse know right away.)
- Wear comfortable, clean, loose-fitting clothing: Wear only a top that zips or buttons up the front. Do not wear pullovers, turtlenecks or any tight fitting top or bottom. Wear slip on shoes.
Desai Center of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
14540 Old St. Augustine Road Suite #2391 | Jacksonville, Florida 32258